homestead - Re: [Homestead] Education, a blue frog and lollipop tree

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Education, a blue frog and lollipop tree
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:07:48 -0700

DSanner106 AT aol.com wrote:

I agree, and this is a problem faced by not only women but men as well. My wife
is a Nurse and Nursing Professor. While in school, she told me horrible stories about
how male students were bashed, mistreated, given the worst patients, and toughest
questions in an effort to drive them out of the program. They were typically outnumbered
30-1 and would usually be the only male in a given class. The all female faculty (my wife
still knows just 1 male nurse professor nationwide) panel had to be forced to admit them
during the review process and really defended nursing as a female profession. As bad
as the nursing shortage is in this country and others, we can't afford to turn away any
seeking such a career.

Drew

tvoivozhd---you are absolutely right---talent and commitment should never be wasted. I am all too familiar with the nursing prefession---one daughter and one daughter-in-law are long-time nurses---and in the VA Recovery room the excellent nurses are all male. The idea that nursds are necesszrily female is absurd.