homestead - Re: [Homestead] Education, a blue frog and lollipop tree

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Education, a blue frog and lollipop tree
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:47:05 -0700

~~sigh~~ Boy, it is hard to get rid of the anger of decades. For years and
years only men could be doctors and nurses were female and were looked down
upon as being a glorified janitor and bedpan changer.

Most nursing programs have grown beyond that mentality but the way a good %
of the docs treat the nurses hasn't changed much which has only kept the
barriers up.

The RN and LVN program I worked for had a good % male enrollment. The psych
tech program had a larger % male enrollment, as did the Rad tech program.
The FNP, BSN and MSN programs are still mostly female and the PA programs
are largely male continuing the stereotyping of doctor = male.

Unfortunately, the mentality that says only doctors know anything about
medicine is still alive and well to the detriment of their patients in
hospitals!

Lynda