homestead - [Homestead] Home workshop tools, equipment, some distantly-related

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Home workshop tools, equipment, some distantly-related
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:14:35 -0700

Distantly related, but useful tools and products---the penalty you have to pay for my disorganized mind. Some good moneymakers here though.

http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/Garden/5461/ (homemade tools to make lapstrake, woodstrip boats. No plans, just pictures, including beautiful decked sailing canoe. These are rarities, bring thousands of dollars when they come up for sale.)

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00126.asp (run three-phase electric motors on single-phase current)

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00051.asp (HVLP turbine paint sprayers)

http://www.ganoksin.com/ (jewelry makers forum on materials, tools, processes---a must-see website for wannabe jewelry goniffs))

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead/2004-September/000392.html (since the Homestead archives recently came into being, I keep stumbling into this stuff on home workshop tools and projects)

http://geoparent.com/home/food/homemadebabyfood.htm (little far afield, tools for babies, make your own baby food, with some sage advice on taking it slow and easy)

http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/homemadeomni.html (per the recent Homestead List discussion with James Skeen and Don Bowen on now mostly useless electronic knowledge and equipment, some newer variants are alive and well---for example homemade 2.4 GHA Omni Antenna here http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/homemadeomni.html and a mini-wireless antenna for your laptop in the sidebar reference.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/970606a.cfm (kid stuff, play-dough and bubblemaking recipies---latter great for a cheap, animated attention-getter at flea markets and craft shows.)

http://www.parentsoup.com/havefun/crafts/articles/0,,166506_263285,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=11043104 (more playdough and fingerlicking paint)

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=404 (cam't repeat too often or too much about the utility of a homemade vacuum-forming machine---the Armorama is tiny, larger two-stage vacuum-pump and vacuum storage tank which I have posted in the past, are more practical, more productive and more expensive---there are occasional uses for a tiny cheapy though)

http://wireless.gumph.org/content/4/3/011-mini-wireless-antenna.html (and a laptop wireless antennae

http://www.stuartnye.com/about.htm (dammit, should have incorporated this article on Depression-Era jwwelrymaking in the previous post. If you can make it in a home business during the Depression, you can make it anytime, anywhere---six mile wide comet permitting)

http://www.righthook.com/fahome.html (if you're really pissed about Big Brother and want to keep a low profile until D-Day, books on making your own automatic weapons and gunpowder)

http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projects/paper/paper.htm (be a papermaker, you are surrounded by free-for-the-gathering papermaking supplies---the most beautiful paper is homemade and any thickness, texture, color you choose+

http://www.sare.org/publications/core_info.htm (SARE data on improving your soil, your garden, fields, farm income, pest-control, composting,, the cultivation equipment available for the farmer, Creamline for the small private-consumption or small commercial dairy. Try it, you'll like it.)

http://blueribbonwinners.com/generic9.html;$sessionid$JQLDZSIAAART5TZENUGETIWPERWRJPX0 (State Fair List---about 1946 my Mother and i ran a Wisconsin Fair cafdteria concession, fed four thousand customers a day)

http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-composite_bow.html (make an Asiatic Composite Bow)

http://pennswoods.net/~zigbug/ (for a lot of homemade woodlot products, you've GOT to have a bandsaw, whether it is homemade or a WodMizer with all the bells and whistles, or the take-it-to-the-log
I've had the Rake bandsaw plans for years---now vefy much improved and more expensive at $1200 for materials---his first version cost $600.

http://www.bmumford.com/cncindex.html (homebrew CNC machine tools, lie down and take a nap while the machine does all the work)

http://nv.essortment.com/claytileshandm_rzfz.htm (homemade baked clay tiles, stroll into Architects office with samples, into Interior Designers studios with a picture-tile wall decoration under your arm---my youngest boy with a large regional floor and wall-covering business would be interested.)

http://www.flyrockets.com/websites.asp (I dunno, I posted plans and prices on a %5000 cruise missile which is the equivalent of any medium-range U.S. Military cruise-missile---the free plans are no longer posted on the designers website, bu available for a reasonable fee. Heres some stuff on less ambitios rocketry)

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/castingpulleys3.html (casting and turning a metal vee-belt pulley---click on articles #1 and #2)

http://www.torotrak.com/variator.html (if ou run a speed-dependent drive in your small factory, you will have to drive it with a variator. You can machine a variator, but you won't save any money,these are pretty cheap. Forgot the brand, but I used to buy them for my factories as low as $17.95)

http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html (ratio-calculator for drive and driven pulley)

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.html&r=45&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&p=1&S1=(daimlerchrysler+AND+transmission)&OS=daimlerchrysler+AND+transmission&RS=(daimlerchrysler+AND+transmission) (A Chrysler-assigned CVT (continuously variable transmission, no drawings here, only claims, but you get the
idea)

http://www.gokartsupply.com/tcterms.htm Comet drive CVT used in motor-scooters, as I remember Salsbury was the first, or at least one of the first to do this.)

A CVT is used a lot in an air-to-air whole house heat exchanger, where you want to fine-tune the the amount of air exhausted and bro brought in for the correct number of turnovers across a twenty four hour period---the flow volume depends on the cubic footage of the house)

Also used in stirring liquids where the viscosity changes, or it is desirable to change the shear-rate of the blades---as in stirring papier mache, papercrete, mixing paint etc.

  • [Homestead] Home workshop tools, equipment, some distantly-related, Tvoivozhd, 09/29/2004