homestead - Re: [Homestead] - - - who the hell cares.

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] - - - who the hell cares.
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:25:23 -0700

Tvo sent :
> Each layoff or shutdown has its own immediate cause, but nearly all
> ultimately can be traced to two powerful forces that reinforce each other:
> global competition and rapid advances in technology.

I totally freaked out when I read it -
at least one (*government* is *also*
outsourcing *computer* work - on
what might be called 'sensitive' records
where individual privacy is concerned ....
=================

> Working 15-hour days, Scott Clark (snip)
> So he guides his van along the center of the highway, one set of wheels in
> the right lane and the other in the left. "Gives me a chance if a deer runs
> in from either direction," he explains.
> At 51, he's left with only a vague hope of getting off the road sometime in
> the next 20 years.

At 51, his eyesight and reflexes are fading
and driving down the center lane keeping
to a schedule is cutting down his chances
or getting to be 20 years older ....
===========

In the end, Richmond Works was just a shell. The building still sits vacant
off the side of Interstate 64 just outside Richmond, a 700,000-square-foot
tan tombstone in a weedy field.

OK, Tvo - you're the expert - organize a
combination farmer's market/antique sales/
crafts school-demonstration areas inside
and 'green construction'/edible landscaping
outside ....
=============

Provo finally got a job through a temp agency for $8.50 an hour, less than
$18,000 a year and a little more than a third of his pay at Viasystems. He
was just getting his life back together when, in November last year, his
heart failed him. "My doctor told me, 'You've got a choice: You can work or
you can live,' " he said.

*That* is what melts ole Hard-hearted Hannah
here - it seems to me that a great many good
men *are* their 'work' so how can they 'live'
without it ?

Toni