homestead - [Homestead] Military transition and Home Security

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Military transition and Home Security
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 10:44:59 -0700

Toni Hawryluk wrote:

Tvo wrote
> Guerrilla warfare requires shift from slow, massive buildups on foreign
bases (which may not be available), to rapid deployment of small, fast
high-impact units based on naval vessels and/or nations dependent on
U.S. for theri security (forget about Europe except for Britain).

Indeed. So - "who's minding the store" here in
the U.S. while the same process is no doubt
going on *here* - and has been since ??
- and I don't mean 9-11 when it flexed its
muscles for what may not have been the first
time but certainly "got attention".
Toni

While I regard Bush as a bumbling idiot, I don't know how much his successor will deviate from what will certainly be a continuing threat, perhaps for centuries, since it is basically a return to Middle Ages religious wars---the only cure for which is total elimination of instutionalized religion, and you know how likely that is---only in Soviet Russia were institutionalized religions extirpated or infiltrated, totally controlled and eliminated as a source of guerrilla warfare. Only since the savage repression of institutionalized religion has ceased, has religious guerrilla warfare resumed in Russia---stimulated by mild tit-for-tat reprisal in Chechen areas, tit-for-tat is a formula for endless war.

There will never be enough money or people to guard a huge perimeter. Such guarding as goes on, is only against the most likely targets (big valuable ones). Seventy five hundred miles of border is basically a sieve---some hi-tech ground and aerial observation equipment is starting to be designed and used, so roving border police can pounce on invaders.

Stopping and inspecting vehicle traffic is an economic impossibility---all business would come to a halt. Vehicular bombs will be used since they are indistinguishable from innocuous family automobiles and look-alike vans and tractor-trailer rigs.

Incoming deck cargo containers are another obvious threat, very difficult to inspect because of sheer volume and the fact that they originate all over the world. I regard it as inevitable that these will be deployed as nuclear, high explosive or bioweapon delivery systems..

If I were in the guerrila warfare business, I would pick any one of the worst cattle diseases, incubate and weaponize it in my kitchen, collect half a dozen buddies in stolen automobiles, and hit feedlots around the country---presto, the cattle business is gone overnight, probably never to return on any but local scale.

Another certain-to-be employed tactic is to shoot down airliners---big 747's and Airbuses, not Piper Cubs. Rent an apartment with windows facing the take-off path, and any old shoulder-held rocket-propelled projectile will do. If you have a guerrilla cell with five or six members, you can time-coordinate their efforts to being as many big planes down simultaneously---five to seven hundred passengers in each, same size event as far as killing people is concerned, as the Twin Towers.

All this is to emphasize that in the military business, everyone in a command position knows that defense is not possible against a determined offense, when the latter can choose the time and place.

Unfortunately we have evolved no guerrilla attack strategy, other than thinking about small, mobile, high-impact attack units.
A successful attack strategy would take out host countries supplying safe houses, easy transit and money, money, money.
With little fear of reprisal, Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia have conducted a proxy war against Israel, utilizing a religiously brainwashed Palestinian populace under the control of Arafat, Al Aksa, Hamas, Hezbollah et. al, ever since 1948.
The clear lesson is that proxy wars and guerrilla cells are a safe, easy to employ strategy---there is no reason to abandon them since there is no effective response employed or contemplated.