homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chickens & Poison Ivy

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chickens & Poison Ivy
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:14:34 -0400

Paul Hillman wrote:

Does anyone know anything about chickens & their eating of, and contact with, Poison Ivy?
<>Do they eat it? If so, does it have any adverse affect upon the chickens & their eggs? Would a person be affected by the egg content because of their eating it?

I can't answer your question, but I offer the following:

Legacy for Life makes products (Biochoice and Immune26) containing freeze dried eggs from chickens innoculated with a wide assortment of germs and diseases including staph and influenza. The freeze dried eggs contain antibodies from the chicken and the antibodies supposedly make a person more resistant to the menu of innoculated germs. It's a little more complex than this, but you get the idea. [I am not a distributor nor do I take the product.]

Goats eat poison ivy and produce milk that contains the antibodies. If you drink goat's milk from a goat who consumed poison ivy you supposedly are less susceptible to getting poison ivy. If chickens will consume poison ivy and you eat the eggs they produce, I would think you would be eating antibodies and become less susceptible to it.
Burt's Bees makes a great soap called Gardener's Friend or Gardener's Soap (or something like that). It contains jewel weed which takes care of poison ivy. Technu is a great liquid soap that also controls poison ivy. I think both of these products work far better than calamine lotion.

Looking forward to learning something new today...

Lisa