homestead - Re: [Homestead] Baby chicks arrived

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Baby chicks arrived
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:18:47 -0400

clanSkeen wrote:

(snip) Most pullet orders have included 10 to 20% roosters.
We ended up with a rooster this spring that we thought certain was a hen last fall. We called her our 'miracle hen' as she was born outside on the night of the hard frost (Oct. 2) and made it. We dutifully looked and checked (as best we could--we couldn't catch them) for emerging combs around the four week timeframe and didn't think we saw one. Then this spring the hen sprouted tail feathers and a big comb and began to crow...hey, it must be a rooster!
So what should we do better this time around? We will be able to closely inspect this time as the pullets are kept under the heat lamp in a large box/pen area and we have more control. We don't want to end up with another hen-turned-rooster situation.

Lisa