gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Insurance?

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: jo ellen meyers sharp <hoosiergardener@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Insurance?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:26:49 -0400

I ran into a similar problem about a year ago. I'd always has a separate rider on my home insurance policy to cover my office and equipment.This also covered me if I was injured somewhere that didn't have insurance or someone was injured here visiting me.

About a year ago, my agent called to tell me Cincinnati Insurance Co., didn't want to write the policy anymore for the very same reasons you cited, that I could be sued for libel or defamation. It took several conversations, but I was able to retain my rider.

Could you get your agent to write a short-term policy to cover you for the day or period for the class? I can't imagine that you're the first garden writer to run into this. I wonder if people who've written books on other topics (management, logistics, etc.,) who teach classes for the government wouldn't have the same problem. Wonder if headquarters would have any suggestions, or if you know someone with whom you have an association that would add you to his or her policy?

jems

Question about insurance.

I am going to teach a class for a government agency that requires me to have general liability insurance. When the insurance agent found out that I write books, his underwriter refused to consider writing me a general liability policy saying that the potential for someone to sue because of defamation (or something like that) was too great a risk. He wouldn't budge when the agent told him I write about gardens.

I need the insurance but I don't know where to turn next.

Suggestions anyone????

Thanks

Nan Sterman Plant Soup, Inc. TM
Garden writer
Garden coach
Horticulture consultant
Speaker
NSterman@PlantSoup.Com 760 634-2902 (v) 760 634-2957 (f)
PO Box 231034
Encinitas, CA 92023

Watch for California Gardener's Guide vol II on shelves in September '07

--
Jo Ellen Meyers Sharp
Garden writer, speaker, author, photographer