gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Best Books for Landscape Novice

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "Dan Clost" <dan.clost@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "gardenwriters-on-gardening" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Best Books for Landscape Novice
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:48:58 -0400

Hi Doreen,
At our wholesale counter we use Dirr's books, Trees of Canada by Farrar, the A to Z book of eleventy-eleven thousand plants, The Practical Guide to Gardening in Canada and, oddly enough Q&Z's hosta catalogue. These, plus our own catalogue, act as our primary references.
However, for folks just starting out, the Ortho series seems to answers the beginner's questions best. Once they get started, experience successes... or not, they can move up into some of the more replete books.

For the new gardener- buy the Ortho series to get you going.
For anyone else- moderately experienced to professional- the Practical Guide has everything you need. It is published by Reader's Digest/ Dorling Kindersley , edited by Christopher Brickell and Trevor Cole and will work just about anywhere in North America.

Dan