gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Best Books for Landscape Novice

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Best Books for Landscape Novice
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:44:32 -0500

Being a woody plant guy, here are my top picks.

Native Trees for North American Landscapes - Guy Sternberg & Jim Wilson
Great listing of N.A. native trees - close to all-inclusive, though I suppose one or two might have slipped through the cracks somewhere.  Great color photography, good descriptions of habit, features lending specific trees to landscape plantings, cultural practices, habitat/environment preferences, etc.
In addition to being exceedingly useful in choosing & siting trees - or obsessing about selections you'd like to grow, or be able to grow -  this one also qualifies as a 'coffeetable' book.
http://www.amazon.com/Native-Trees-North-American-Landscapes/dp/0881926078/sr=8-1/qid=1158010227/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8556910-1764705?ie=UTF8&s=books

Manual of Woody Landscape Plants - Michael Dirr
"The Bible" - what else can you say?
A wealth of information.  Nice line drawings.  No photos.
http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Woody-Landscape-Plants-Characteristics/dp/0875637957/ref=pd_sim_dbs_b_2/104-8556910-1764705?ie=UTF8

As an oak enthusiast, Oaks of North America by Miller & Lamb, is a must-have.
http://www.amazon.com/Oaks-North-America-Howard-Miller/dp/0879611375/sr=1-1/qid=1158010876/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8556910-1764705?ie=UTF8&s=books

(I'm not a shill for Amazon - it's just easy to copy & paste URLs).

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY