gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Plastic garden/landscape edging

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "Dan Clost" <dan.clost@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "gardenwriters-on-gardening" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Plastic garden/landscape edging
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 21:48:51 -0400

I wonder if the ineffectiveness re keeping soil away from pathways etc is more due to the height above grade rather than the material used in construction i.e. plastic vs metal.  We use metal extensively between hard and soft contrasts ( if that choice of phrase makes sense). For example, metal edging along interlock, paving stone, asphalt ( installed before the asphalt is) and so on.
Between beds and lawns, we always use plastic- slope or no slope. $11 for 20 ft of heavy grade plastic edging vs $32 for 16 ft of the metal edging makes it no contest.  I'm sure prices will be different in your home areas.
This plastic edging easily bends along its length, I can roll up a 20" length into a 4' circumference circle with no problem; however, I can't bend or crease it across it's length ( top to bottom); it's far too rigid.

Where water collecting and then sliding along the edging is a problem, we usually dig a slightly deeper trench, lined with gravel or install a smaller version of big O and move the water along that way.
If the slope is too great for this system then we consider stepped retaining walls or some other method of terraforming.

Dan
-----  we have found it ineffective as regards keeping soil away from gravel and pathways.  Some of the problems we have faced can be contributed to plastic that was used as a weed inhibitor and thus caused the water to slide along it bringing the soil/mulch etc with it, others are pure slope problems.  The more effective dividers here that are not areas covered by slope problems, have the metal edging.  It has stayed reasonably upright and in place.