gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Drying Sedum Blooms

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: miranda@tagoresmith.com
  • To: "gardenwriters-on-gardening" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Drying Sedum Blooms
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:33:54 -0500 (CDT)

I have dried them by hanging and was dissapointed with the color--dull
brown. I meant to try silica gel but never got around to it. (I now live
in a climate where it's too warm to grow those sedum.) Anyway, I think
it's worth trying the silica gel-- maybe more of the color would remain.
Glycerine is also something I thought about trying, but never got to. It
generally changes the color of whatever you are preserving, but the colors
you get are often quite beautiful. And the blooms are much longer lasting
and resiliant because they are not brittle. Bells of Ireland, for example,
turn pure white and are gorgeous--you can use them in so many types of
arrangements. So I'd try both the gel and the glycerine.

Best,

Miranda Smith