gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Thrips control methods

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Ron Whitehurst <ron@rinconvitova.com>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Thrips control methods
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:47:19 -0700

We supply Amblyseius cucumeris, a predatory mite that feeds on the young of the Western flower thrips on the upper side of the plant, and Hypoaspis miles, a soil dewelling predatory mite that feeds on the nymph after it drops to the soil to pupate. The combination of these works well to suppress Western flower thrips in plantings in the ground and in greenhouses.
http://www.rinconvitova.com/predator%20mite%20bulletins.htm

Orius insidiosus, minute pirate bug, is a predaory bug that is very effective for controlling both Western flower thrips and greenhouse thrips on plants.
http://www.rinconvitova.com/predator%20bulletin.htm#Orius%20insidiosus

For soft chemicals, spinosad containing products are effective and soft on beneficials. (Success, Conserve, Entrust - Naturlite line from Dow - some organic listed)

Ron

If you know of any organic methods to rid my garden of these pests please let me know.
--

Ron Whitehurst
Marketing Manager

Rincon-Vitova Insectaries,
P.O. Box 1555, Ventura, CA  93002-1555
805-643-5407   800-248-2847 (BUGS)   fax 805-643-6267

e-mail:  bugnet@rinconvitova.com
web:  http://www.rinconvitova.com

Biological Solutions for Pest Management