gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] shot hole fungus

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Ron Whitehurst <ron@rinconvitova.com>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] shot hole fungus
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 10:40:18 -0700

Potassium bicarbonate is used commercially, Kaligreen is a brand name.
Sodium is toxic to plants in more than tiny amounts, but occasional use
of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) probably has minor effects.

The biological approach is to use microbes that are antagonistic to the
disease organisms or that are benign and take up space so that there is
no room for the disease organisms to take hold.

The least expensive and best from the standpoint of biodiversity is
home-brewed compost tea. See Elaine Ingham's manual on Compost Tea
Brewing Manual for more information.

Second best is 1-3 mixed microbes that suppress disease.
Bacillus subtilis, B cereus mix in Defensor (solo in Serenade, Rhapsody)

Trichoderma spp. in Promot, PlantShield, RootShield,
and more coming

Ron

I wonder if anyone has used a spray of sodium bicarbonate/baking soda
with this and had any success. It has worked well for me on roses and
other plants with mildew.

--

Ron Whitehurst
Marketing Manager

Rincon-Vitova Insectaries,
P.O. Box 1555, Ventura, CA 93002-1555
805-643-5407 800-248-2847 (BUGS) fax 805-643-6267

e-mail: bugnet@rinconvitova.com
web: http://www.rinconvitova.com

Biological Solutions for Pest Management