gwl-g - [gwl-g] Is it fate? Lots of questions

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Melanie <melaniev@optonline.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Is it fate? Lots of questions
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:05:07 -0400

Is it fate that right after you rave about a plant it then ups and dies in your garden?

Here I've been raving about Oenothera "Cold Crick" for two years now and this year 2 of my 4 plants died and the other two look like crapola.

Added three new Echinaceas to the garden yesterday. Echinacea "Art's Pride", Echinacea "Rubinstern" (which has dark purple stems!) and Echinacea "Sunrise".

Should have gotten Echinacea "Mango Meadowbright" when I saw it back in March, I haven't seen it again.

Would love to hear your results on some of the new Coreopsis out there. After getting burned with "Limerock Ruby" I'm not investing any money until I hear some rave reviews.

The Phlox paniculatas in my garden have seeded about. The seedlings have the exact same foliage colors as their parents. For instance "Starfire" has purple markings on the uppermost leaves and so do the seedlings. Most books say to ditch any seedlings as they will not be as good as the parents. In truth aren't they just different than the parent plant and not necessarily better or worse? Isn't that what hybridizing is all about?

Final question for now, my Ligularia "Britt Marie Crawford" has seedlings. Anybody have experience with those? How long do they take to mature and how true are they to their parent plant?

Melanie Vassallo
Long Island NY zone 6b

  • [gwl-g] Is it fate? Lots of questions, Melanie, 05/27/2005