gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] shot hole fungus

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "MARGARET LAUTERBACH" <melauter123@msn.com>
  • To: "gardenwriters-on-gardening" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] shot hole fungus
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 06:31:04 -0600

I saw your earlier post, but haven't tried using baking soda on coryneum blight (shothole fungus), so didn't answer. IMO coryneum blight is very difficult to treat, so tree removal is easier and cheaper in the long run. Margaret L
Hello

I understand that my first posting of this message did not come through to everyone, so if this is the second time you are receiving it, sorry for the annoyance.

I'm not sure the discussion on the use of sodium bicarbonate took place on this list or not.

This winter/spring I did not get to praying my fruit trees and they, especially the cherry, are beginning to show signs of shot hole fungus - small round holes rimmed in red, that gradually riddle the whole leaf and defoliate the tree.  Ends up looking like a big black mess!  I did not want to use a copper spray this spring - no frost, wet and warm -  because I thought the early shoots and plants below the trees would be destroyed. (Past experience :))  I wonder if anyone has used a spray of sodium bicarbonate/baking soda with this and had any success.  It has worked well for me on roses and other plants with mildew.

Thank you for any help you may offer.

Anna Ingre