grhits - Re: [grhits] Web apps/site accesibility

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "Tor de Vries" <TDevries AT engenderhealth.org>
  • To: "Global Reproductive Health IT Support list" <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [grhits] Web apps/site accesibility
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:40:33 -0400

Jojo...

I have some experience designing web pages for low-bandwidth audiences, though honestly 256 kbps doesn't sound like low bandwidth.  Maybe 14.4 kbps -- that's low bandwidth.

If your target audience has download access at 256 kbps, and if my mental calculator is working properly, then they have a peak download capacity of roughly 30kb (file size) per second.  For optimal usability, you would keep your page load to under 2 seconds, so we're talking 60kb of data.  If you reuse external CSS, images, and _javascript_ files across your web pages, these will [almost certainly] be cached in your visitor's browser, so you could put more data in those files.  E.g. a web page's total data footprint might be 100kb (HTML + CSS + images + scripting) but if 60kb are external files shared across all the pages, then subsequent visits to the site will only incur the 40kb non-cached portion (HTML) of the page.  Reusability is a good idea, anyway, but it also offers speed benefits.

(Totally aside: I can't remember if kilobit is "kb" and kilobyte is "Kb" or "KB" or "kB".......)

Anyway, if you use Firefox, and you are a web developer, I recommend the Firebug extension (http://www.getfirebug.com/) for debugging web sites.  Yahoo's developer team recently released YSlow (http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/) which is a free Firebug plug-in that analyzes the speed and cacheability of your web pages (though I would take their advice on acceleration with a large grain of salt).  However, installing Firebug and YSlow may slightly reduce the speed of your web browser (since it captures and analyzes the web page as it loads).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Tor