gmark - Re: Stilling the Storm

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Stilling the Storm
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 02:36:17 EST

mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org writes:

<< Interestingly enough, it has been nearly the same amount of time since
Kennedy died that most scholars claim between the death of Jesus and the
writing of Mark. We have enough eye-witnesses around that if anyone made
historical claims about him that were not true, someone could refute them. >>

I often hear the claim that if the gospels stories were false, they would
have been ridiculed as false at that time, so the apparent lack of refutation
stands as proof that the stories are true. I reject this argument. Mark's
gospel, the first one, wasn't written until about 70 AD, and the life span in
those days was less than 30, so few would have been around to refute the
stories about events alleged to have occurred about forty years earlier.
Furthermore, even if there were persons still alive who lived in and around
the areas where Jesus was alleged to have worked his miracles, how would they
forty years later be able to claim that such events never happened?

It is virtually impossible to prove that something did *not* happen, even if
it was alleged to have happened recently. Suppose, for example, a person in
your city claimed that about a year ago a miracle-worker raised someone from
the dead, calmed the sea, and fed thousands of people with just a few loaves
of bread. Who would ever be able to say it never happened? We certainly
wouldn't take the lack evidence against this man's claim as an indication
that the events this person described actually happened. Why, then, should
we believe that the lack of protest about the stories of Jesus' alleged
miracles, stories told forty years after the alleged events, is evidence that
the stories must be true?

Now, if the Bible stories were true, then one would expect that there would
exist some extrabiblical contemporary evidence of these events in poetry,
literature, or the reports of historians and journalists. However, there is
not the slightest mention of the miraculous feeding of five thousand, then
later the four thousand, from just a handful of bread and fish. Nine
thousand people. Surely most of them would have told and retold their
personal miracle story over and over again, as would have their children, and
so on down through the generations, up to this day. But, not a single peep
about this from contemporaries has been recorded.

There is also no mention anywhere of the murder by Herod's swordsmen of all
of the children under two years of age in Bethlehem and the surrounding
suburbs. What a sensational story that would have been, if it had ever
happened. The details of the slaughter of these innocents would still be
talked about today, if the murders of all those babies had actually occurred.
But, there is not a word of this outside the Bible. How come Matthew is the
only one who wrote about it?

How could these astonishing events not have been important enough to have
been recorded extrabiblically, if they had actually occurred?

Now, let me return to my argument that Mark's story of Jesus' calming of the
sea (Mark 4:37-41) was copied from Jonah (Jonah 1:4-16).

There are five elements in the two stories that are not to be found anywhere
else in literature or folklore:

1. A raging storm threatens a boat.
2. The hero is asleep on the boat.
3. The hero is awakened and criticized for his apparent lack of concern.
4. The storm is miraculously calmed.
5. The passengers fear the miracle-worker.

These correspondences hardly seem coincidental, so the conclusion that Mark
made up this story seems inescapable, especially in light of the fact that
there are several other examples of Mark seemingly doing the same thing.

For example, consider the miraculous feeding stories: Elisha's men complain
that they can't feed one hundred men on with so little bread, but Elisha told
them to feed them anyway, and it was miraculously accomplished, with food
left over. (2 Kings 4:42-44). Thus, Mark had Jesus' men complain, too, about
having to feed so many men with so little bread, and Jesus told them to feed
the five thousand anyway, the feeding was miraculously accomplished, and food
was left over (Mark 6:32-42). Evidently, Mark wanted his readers to recall
the Elisha story and recognize that whatever power the Lord had given Elisha,
it was given to Jesus fifty times over.

In this forum we have seen how Jesus' prayer at Gethsemane and his betrayal
by Judas was patterned after events in the life of David, so I won't repeat
that information here. It is sufficient to say, I believe, that the evidence
that Mark's stories about Jesus are completely fictional is much too strong
even for the most ardent apologist to ignore.

Joseph F. Alward
"A Skeptical View of Christianity and the Bible"
http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html