gmark - Re: Stilling the Storm

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernat AT cub.kcnet.org>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Stilling the Storm
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 03:44:43 -0800

Perhaps, you have seen at some time the parallels that people have noted
between Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy. Whether or not you have I must
say that they appear to be impressive, almost uncanny. Following your
logic, I must assume that the parallels in John F. Kennedy's life were
manufactured to make us think of him as the next Abraham Lincoln. I am not
willing to accept that conclusion. The logic is specious.
Interestingly enough, it has been nearly the same amount of time since
Kennedy died that most scholars claim between the death of Jesus and the
writing of Mark. We have enough eye-witnesses around that if anyone made
historical claims about him that were not true, someone could refute them.
Even if Mark were written at a later time, there are enough echoes of the
Gospels in the Epistles to suggest that the Church either had a written or a
well known oral tradition concerning the life of Christ. The possibility
that the disciples actually believed the stories they were telling has to be
given the same level of credibility as the assumption that they lied knowing
that their claims could be refuted.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy