gmark - Re: Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Thomas White" <cybermissiona9 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mark
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 16:23:49 -0400

>From: Steve Black
>To: "Kata Markon"
>Subject: [gmark] Re: Mark
>Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:02:49 -0800
>
>>Ted wrote
>>Over a year ago I argued on Kata Markan that Mark created Judas and
>>Judas'
>>betrayal as a part of a programmatic vendetta against the Twelve.
>>More
>>recently I have argued the same in posts on XTalk and am now
>>working on an
>>essay that will provide more detail evidence for this. Briefly
>>here, early
>>on in his Gospel, Mark identifies Judas as the betrayer (3:19).
>>One of the
>>strong points in Mark's vendetta against the Twelve is to emphasize
>>that
>>Jesus was betrayed from within the cohort of the Twelve. That is
>>why it was
>>important for Mark to indicate that, wherever Judas, Jesus'
>>betrayer, is
>>referred to in the context of the passion narrative, he be
>>identified as
>>"one of the Twelve." On the three different occasions where Judas
>>is
>>mentioned or alluded to in the passion narrative he thus is clearly
>>and
>>specifically identified as "one of the Twelve." It is the case
>>when Mark
>>has Judas go to the religious authorities to join the conspiracy
>>against
>>Jesus (14:10). It is the case when Jesus speaks of his betrayer at
>>the Last
>>Supper (14:20). It is the case when Mark dramatizes Judas'
>>arrival with
>>the arresting party in Gethsemane (14:43), where Judas' betrayal is
>>consummated. Thus, the reference to hEIS TWN DWDEKA in Mk.
>>14:20, in my
>>judgment, is part of Mark's vendetta against the Twelve. The
>>Nestle
>>reading of 14:20 is the authentic and original Markan text.
>>

>Steve replies
>I agree!
>It is exactly this that causes me to doubt that Mark intended Judas
>to represent Judea.
>I see him being linked entirely to the twelve. If Mark DID intend
>for
>his readers to "see" Judea in Judas, that would weaken his polemic
>against the twelve. His polemic against the religious leadership in
>the south doesn't need Judas! I believe if Judas is seen as
>representing Judea, it would weaken the distinction that I believe
>Mark construes between the various "enemies" of Jesus.
>--
>Steve Black
>Vancouver, BC
>
>Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question
>
>E.E. CUMMINGS
>
>---
> [...]

Frankl;y I must diagree with the statement that you made Tim.  Thinking that Mark made Judas would therefore make one think that the the other gospels were also copied somewhat from Mark.  Judas is mentioned in the Gospels of Matthew 27, Luke 22:47, and John 18 also so I can not justify a statement in which one is led to believe that Mark created Judas.

  • Mark, Rick Frommich, 08/06/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Mark, Peter M. Head, 08/07/2001
    • Re: Mark, Rick Frommich, 08/08/2001