gmark - Re: Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:02:49 -0800

Ted wrote
Over a year ago I argued on Kata Markan that Mark created Judas and Judas'
betrayal as a part of a programmatic vendetta against the Twelve. More
recently I have argued the same in posts on XTalk and am now working on an
essay that will provide more detail evidence for this. Briefly here, early
on in his Gospel, Mark identifies Judas as the betrayer (3:19). One of the
strong points in Mark's vendetta against the Twelve is to emphasize that
Jesus was betrayed from within the cohort of the Twelve. That is why it was
important for Mark to indicate that, wherever Judas, Jesus' betrayer, is
referred to in the context of the passion narrative, he be identified as
"one of the Twelve." On the three different occasions where Judas is
mentioned or alluded to in the passion narrative he thus is clearly and
specifically identified as "one of the Twelve." It is the case when Mark
has Judas go to the religious authorities to join the conspiracy against
Jesus (14:10). It is the case when Jesus speaks of his betrayer at the Last
Supper (14:20). It is the case when Mark dramatizes Judas' arrival with
the arresting party in Gethsemane (14:43), where Judas' betrayal is
consummated. Thus, the reference to hEIS TWN DWDEKA in Mk. 14:20, in my
judgment, is part of Mark's vendetta against the Twelve. The Nestle
reading of 14:20 is the authentic and original Markan text.

Steve replies
I agree!
It is exactly this that causes me to doubt that Mark intended Judas to represent Judea.
I see him being linked entirely to the twelve. If Mark DID intend for his readers to "see" Judea in Judas, that would weaken his polemic against the twelve. His polemic against the religious leadership in the south doesn't need Judas! I believe if Judas is seen as representing Judea, it would weaken the distinction that I believe Mark construes between the various "enemies" of Jesus.
--
Steve Black
Vancouver, BC

Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question

E.E. CUMMINGS

  • Mark, Rick Frommich, 08/06/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Mark, Peter M. Head, 08/07/2001