gmark - Re: The Mt of Olives

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Mt of Olives
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:14:21 EST

In a message dated 2/25/01 10:23:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
sblack AT axionet.com writes:

I have to say, I do find the parallel  between David and Jesus dealing with
their betrayals, and with the Will of God on the Mount of Olives
interesting. But I wonder about another parallel that is more obvious in
the context, and yet less obvious in meaning. The Mount of Olives is also
mentioned in Zech. 14:4, only 5 verses after the passage Mark quotes (Mk
14:27, Zech 13:7). This is an obvious "flag" that Mark is playing with
motifs from Zech. Zech 14:4 is "apocalyptic" - but seems to contradict
Mark's understanding of the futility of defending the temple (as discussed
in Ch. 13), because in Zech the LORD does gather all nations against
Jerusalem (14:2) only to fight against them (14:3). So I think Mark is
tying themes together - I just don't see how.

============
Mark's use of Zechariah 13-14 is obvious, but I don't see a conflict.

Zechariah states the Lord will set up a battle at Jerusalem which will
separate the righteous from the non-righteous; the Lord's chosen will be
those who are tested and refined like silver and gold in the fires of that
battle:

"In the whole land...two thirds will be struck down and perish; yet one-third
will be left in it.  This third I will bring into the fire; I will refine
them like silver and test them like gold....They are my people." (Zech.
13:8-9)...."Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked
Jerusalem will...worship the...Lord Almighty."  (Zech. 14:16)

Malachi expressed a similar sentiment:  "He will sit as a refiner and
purifier of silvers; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and
silver.  Then the Lord will have men who will bring offerings in
righteousness."  (Malachi 3:3)

Thus, the coming apocalypse will be the Lord's refinery.

Mark has Jesus apparently saying that fulfillment of Zechariah's and
Malachi's prophecies is at hand:

"[T]his generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have
happened." (Mark 13:30), and, "those...days of distress...[are] for the sake
of the elect, whom he has chosen."  (Mark 13:19-20)

Thus, Mark 13 seems to follow Zechariah quite closely, in my opinion.  Have I
overlooked something?

Regards,

Joe Alward