gmark - The Mt of Olives

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: The Mt of Olives
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 08:26:23 -0800

Title: The Mt of Olives
I have to say, I do find the parallel  between David and Jesus dealing with their betrayals, and with the Will of God on the Mount of Olives interesting. But I wonder about another parallel that is more obvious in the context, and yet less obvious in meaning. The Mount of  Olives is also mentioned in Zech. 14:4, only 5 verses after the passage Mark quotes (Mk 14:27, Zech 13:7). This is an obvious "flag" that Mark is playing with motifs from Zech. Zech 14:4 is 'apocalyptic" - but seems to contradict Mark's understanding of the futility of defending the temple (as discussed in Ch. 13), because in Zech the LORD does gather all nations against Jerusalem (14:2) only to fight against them (14:3). So I think Mark is tying themes together - I just don't see how.

Any thoughts??