gmark - Judas and Jesus

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Judas and Jesus
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:48:02 EST

Is anyone aware of a plausible solution for the problem of Judas's "signal"
to the arresting crowd? The only explanation that makes sense to me is that
a later Mark added 44-45 for reasons unknown. Without those verses, the
betrayal and arrest passage flows more smoothly and makes complete sense;
with it, however, we are unable to understand why the chief priests, who knew
Jesus, needed someone to identify him.

If anyone knows of a betrayal with a kiss in first century literature that a
Mark might have had access to, and a reason to use here, that might solve our
problem.

The middle passage below is the one that doesn't seem to belong:

Then Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the chief priests to betray
Jesus to them. They were delighted to hear this and promised to give him
money. So he watched for an opportunity to hand him over. (Mark
14:10-11)..."The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is betrayed into the
hands of sinners. Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!" Just as he was
speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, appeared. With him was a crowd armed with
swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests, the teachers of the law, and
the elders. (Mark 14:41-43)

Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: "The one I kiss is the man;
arrest him and lead him away under guard." Going at once to Jesus, Judas
said, "Rabbi!" and kissed him. (Mark 14:44-45)

The men seized Jesus and arrested him. Then one of those standing near drew
his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. "Am
I leading a rebellion," said Jesus, "that you have come out with swords and
clubs to capture me? Every day I was with you, teaching in the temple
courts, and you did not arrest me. But the Scriptures must be fulfilled."
Then everyone deserted him and fled. (Mark 14:46-50)

Joe Alward
http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html