gmark - Re: Mark and Homer

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Hudson Barton <hhbv AT highwinds.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark and Homer
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:17:15 -0500

My question is why.
Why does "mark" use Homer. He is very intentional when he uses the OT. It seems that Mark doesn't use narrative parallels from The OT, but rather literary ("midrashic" - so to speak) quotes, as in the opening passage of the gospel. That perhaps is something worth discussing in itself in this context - but even so, these OT passages are dripping with significance. So that seems clearly to be mark's style. So what is the "significance" of his use of Homer?

Isn't it true that Mark spent a good part of his life in the tutelage of educated people (Paul), and traveled widely throughout Asia Minor? If so, then even if his Greek is raw, he probably knew the classics.

To me, the scene in Herod's court appears scripted. The story suggests that Herod's court was the scene of a play, as it were, and the early readers of Mark's gospel might well have recognized its classical source. I don't have a problem with searching for parallels. The text almost begs for it.

So let's say that the parallels with the Agamemnon story are no accident. Then the question becomes whether Mark is writing history or fiction or something in between. I believe that Mark 6 is both historical, AND patterned after Homer's Agamemnon. Why should there be a conflict between the literary and the historical?

In fact, Herod and his household almost surely were familiar with the classics (as much or more than Mark). Where's the harm in claiming that the rudiments of the Agamemnon story were played out in Herod's court with John the Baptist as a leading actor... ultimately resulting in John's head on a platter? That's pretty gripping stuff. I find the parallels add significantly to the Baptist murder story.

H.