gmark - Re: Mark 7:3-4 and the readers of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "George Young" <gwyoung AT morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark 7:3-4 and the readers of Mark
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:30:59 -0330

Rob Lewis wrote:

> I can understand the reasons why one would consider Mark 7:3-4 as a
helpful
> definition of a jewish practice. What practices are being referred to
here?
> Has anyone been able to identify where such practices may have originated
and
> how are they informing the Mark's gospel? Especially interesting are the
> references to XALKIWN KAI KLINWN. How do these kinds of 'elder
traditions'
> make it into the gospel?

Lewis' observation is, in my opinion, a good one, because it foregrounds
what on narrative critical grounds may be symptomatic of an elusive, perhaps
even unreliable narrator. Is there any 'tradition' about 'baptizing' copper
utensils and beds? Or, is this simply an eccentric narrative maneuver
intended to lull the reading into a fever of anti-Semetism? It is equally
important, on the other hand, to note that KAI KLINWN is not well attested
(UBS Greek NT gives this reading only a 'C').

George W. Young, PhD
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies
Queen's College Faculty of Theology
210 Prince Philip Drive