gmark - Re: Mark 7:3-4 and the readers of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rikki E. Watts" <rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark 7:3-4 and the readers of Mark
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:28:59 +0000

Stefan

Perhaps the solution lies in the fact that the data appear to be of
different kinds. One could well understand Gentile readers, especially if
they have spent some time in Synagogue and/or under Christian instruction,
knowing some of the more important (notably eschatological hope) elements of
the Scriptures; hence the unexplained allusions. On the other hand, details
as to facets of Jewish observance (as Mark understood it) may not have been
so well known to them. E.g. he might have assumed that his readers knew
enough about Sabbath observance (general knowledge) while on the other hand
believing that they might know be aware of the practice of washing (how many
Gentiles would have been present at a Jewish meal to know what Jews did
before eating?).

Blessings
Rikk

Dr. R. E. Watts (PhD, Cantab) Phone (604) 224 3245
Regent College, Fax (604) 224 3097
5800 University Boulevard
Vancouver, BC
CANADA V6T 2E4