freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS not giving any results

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS not giving any results
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 01:05:09 -0400

Hi Marc,

> Speaking of db-lib, what is the best place to read to get advice
> about how to use the API -- i.e.: the kind of info that you wrote
> about (e.g.: "You're supposed to call dbnumcols() only after
> dbresults returns SUCCEED.").

Everything I know about how db-lib is *supposed* to work comes from
reading the vendors' reference manuals, many times and very carefully.
Over the years I guess I've crawled inside the head of whoever designed
it. (I don't know who that is, but I'd like to meet him!) It's
actually a very simple library with a few strange gargoyles.

> A canonical example of result processing would be handy
> (though perhaps I have that now from your email :-))

That is why I wote the Tenderfoot section of the UG. :-)

> Thanks again for the boat loads of info and for looking at the pymssql
> code and making suggestions!

Sure thing. Happy hacking!