freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS not giving any results

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Andrewartha <jandrewartha AT ccgs.wa.edu.au>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS not giving any results
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 15:56:41 +0800

On 06/09/13 22:18, Marc Abramowitz wrote:
> I've seen a similar behavior when using pymssql 1.0.2 with newer versions
> of FreeTDS. No rows seem to come back. I didn't look in depth at
> diagnosing and debugging it though, because 2 things seem to work around
> the problem:
>
> 1. Use an older version of FreeTDS. E.g.: the one packaged with our Ubuntu
> 10 systems, which is 0.82-6build1. This is reasonable for production.

This is what I've gone for.

> 2. Use a newer version of pymssql -- e.g.: the pymssql 2.X versions
> installed with pip or directly from the source -- I do this for
> development because I happen to do a lot of maintenance work on pymssql.
> Personally, I'd love to have more folks looking at pymssql 2.X, because
> I've invested time in it, but that's my own bias. :-)
>
> I am very curious about the incompatibility between newer FreeTDS and the
> older pymssql, so I will be interested to see what you find out.

I've reached my limit of understanding, having a workaround and seeing
that it's a well-known problem means I'm not going to do any futher
investigation. One tidbit is that it's reported to work on amd64:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=709210 although I
briefly tested on Ubuntu 12.04 amd64 and it didn't work. That particular
machine also uses Tiny TDS 0.5.0 (which is a ruby binding) without any
problems.

--
James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer