freetds - [freetds] patches, releases, git (was Re: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Function sequence error (SQL-HY010))

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] patches, releases, git (was Re: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Function sequence error (SQL-HY010))
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 07:32:23 -0600

On Mar 4, 2012, at 2:11 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 08:27:29 -0500
> Ken Collins <ken AT metaskills.net> wrote:
>
>> On that topic, is there now a branch/tag structure that port
>> maintainers can now follow too? For instance something like a
>> 091-stable branch that may eventually be tagged 092 or something.
>
> Sorry, Ken, answer is "not yet".
>
> There are two things we want to do in this area:
>
> 1. Change from cvs to git.
> 2. automatically release patched versions of the current release.
>
> As you know, we currently have 0.91 stable and patched, but "patched"
> includes all patches since the release.

Well, not *all* the patches. This one:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/freetds/2011q3/027293.html

still needs to be applied and I still haven't figured out how using cvs.
With git it would be a simple cherry-pick, but with cvs I *think* I need to
know the name of the stable branch, check it out, and reapply the patch (or
is there a way to merge an individual file from one branch to another?). It
sounds simple, but I have not been able to figure out how to figure out the
name of the stable branch. There is no "show branch" command (nor is there a
"show tag" since branches are apparently tags in cvs).

> I've agreed to move to git for others' benefit, even though I don't
> use it myself for anything else. I've been reluctant to start because
> once begun it must be finished, and while unfinished there will be no
> updated tarballs of release or HEAD. Or we have to re-port, or
> something.

I don't recall how extensively your release scripts use cvs. If it's just to
update the working tree, replacing "cvs update" with "git pull" might be all
that's required and "make dist" wouldn't necessarily have to change that
much. I guess whatever configure does to build PACKAGE_VERSION might need
tinkering.

> I hope it's understandable that I'm putting off dealing with
> relase-patch versioning until we're using git.

That makes sense.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."