freetds - [freetds] git transition (Re: a better libtds)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] git transition (Re: a better libtds)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:41:19 -0500

On Aug 25, 2011, at 3:25 AM, Frediano Ziglio wrote:

> News? I have a CVS repository mirror and I'm able to do a conversion.
> The only option I would discuss is -A option to cvsimport (I used it
> with success). CVS repository use unix usernames for user while git
> use e-mail. -A option allow you to specify unix username -> e-mail
> conversion, currently I have
>
> $ cat ~/cpp/freetds/cvs_author
> freddy77=Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
> jklowden=JK Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org>

I only have about 5 commits but you can add me as:

berryc=Craig A. Berry <craigberry AT mac.com>

Don't forget brianb and castellano.

> Do we have already a GitHub account? If you like I can convert again
> entire project and branches and push to a new GitHub project.

Probably the way to do it on GitHub is what they call organizations:

https://github.com/account/organizations/new

Incidentally, git cvsimport does incremental imports if you've already
imported before, so you may not have to start from scratch unless there's
something you want to change about how it was done before (like the -A list).

> 2011/8/23 Brian Bruns <brian AT bruns.com>:
>> Been using github for a coupla years, rock solid and the pull requests
>> will make a maintainers life quite easy. There was a big learning
>> curve with git itself, but that's another story.

>>> I'm ready. It might be a little while before automatic patching and
>>> nightly snapshots are available.

GitHub has on-the-fly snapshots of every commit available. But that would be
a copy of the raw source, which ISTR requires running automake before you can
actually build it. Possibly something could be done with a post-receive
hook, or of course externally scripted as now.

There may be a few other items to take care of eventually, such as adding a
.gitignore file to the repository. There may not be much reason to maintain
a ChangeLog anymore as long as people write decent commit messages.

There are different models for maintaining the relationship between
development and stable branches, which may deserve a little thought before
things get too far along. Basically you can merge or you can cherry-pick. I
think cherry picking is more consistent with how things are now, where each
change is evaluated for the stable branch on a case-by-case basis but most
changes just go into the next major release.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."
Brad Leithauser