freetds - [freetds] datacopy syntax

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] datacopy syntax
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:58:10 -0400

I would like to let our "datacopy" utility use Kerberos, but the parameter
syntax makes it awkward. I propose to change the syntax. I'd like feedback.

Also, datacopy connects to two different servers. I don't know of a way to
use two Kerberos accounts, should that be needed. Suggestions?

The current parameters are:

[-S server/username/password/database/table_or_view]
[-D server/username/password/database/table]

You see the problem immediately: how to omit the username & password?

I propose to change the syntax to emulate a URL:

-S [username[:passwd]@][dbname.][schema.]tablename

This would be more similar to our other utilities, and would permit
everything
except the tablename to be omitted. It would, however break existing
scripts.

I don't want to do what someone will inevitably suggest: allow both. If
you want both and want to implement both, OK, we can discuss it. Otherwise,
the complexity would be hard to document and harder to understand.

Would this change negatively affect your organization? Would a little Perl
script transforming the above be of any use? Do you think the proposal
is a step in the right direction?