freetds - Re: [freetds] comparison of libraries.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] comparison of libraries.
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:39:24 -0400

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:38:33AM +0000, Panos Stavroulis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone done any performance comparisons between the FreeTDS, Sybase
> DB-Library, Microsoft DB, Windows ODBC and .NET drivers for SQL Server. I
> am not expecting the FreeTDS library to be faster than the others but as
> long as there isn't any significant performance degradation would be very
> positive. Thank you.

The last time I checked was a few years ago. As I recall FreeTDS was about
10% slower than Microsoft's NTWDBLIB.DLL. Nowadays it's hardly even a fair
comparison because Microsoft's db-lib loses on features: because it uses TDS
4.2, it can't represent e.g. 64-bit integers.

With ODBC the DM adds another layer, but a *very* thin one compared to .NET.
I would be embarrassed to learn any .NET anything outperformed FreeTDS.

The limiting factor is nearly always the server and/or the network. I've
measured throughput at 90% of Ethernet speeds.

HTH.