freetds - Re: [freetds] connection to SQL server 2008 express

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Andrew H. Wakefield" <a_wake AT earthlink.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] connection to SQL server 2008 express
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:02:54 -0500

One note to add -- I had trouble getting a connection using the server
name (-S option or equivalent), but could get a connection using the
host address and port (-H ip-address -p port) -- it turned out that I
had named an instance (INSTANCE = SQLEXPRESS) in the freetds.conf file,
but my sql server was using a fixed port rather than dynamic ports.
Naming an instance caused the software to try to find a dynamic port.
Taking out the instance name fixed the problem.

Andy Wakefield
a_wake AT earthlink.net