freetds - Re: [freetds] connection to SQL server 2008 express

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Mahendra T <mahendra.t AT tcs.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] connection to SQL server 2008 express
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:34:39 +0530

> $ telnet IP_Adress 1433
>
> (where you obviously substitute a real address for "IP_Address").
>
> The connection will fail, demonstrating you cannot connect to that
> server on that port.
>
> > I could connect to the database instance at 1433 port from the same
> > machine where it is installed.
>
> SQL server 2008 express by default listens only to 127.0.0.1, not to
> the external network. You can confirm that by running the above
telnet
> command on the SQL Server host.
>
> If you can telnet locally but not from the FreeTDS host, show those
> results to your network guy.

> Besides the *machine* being given network access over the port, the
> SQL*Server must also be enabled to allow external connections.

> Using SQL*Server management studio, right-click on the database cylinder
> after establishing a connection to it and choose "Properties".
> Then, choose the page "Connections" and click the check box "Allow
> remote connections to this server"

> Restart the SQL*Server service.

Remote connections are enabled on the host server. telnet host_IP 1433 is
not working on host machine itself.
If I try sqlcmd -H IP_address\Instance_name,port -U user_name from the
host machine, it connects me to the data base. I am not able understand
why telnet is not working when sqlcmd is able to connect to the database
at 1433 port.

Mahendra
and any attachments. Thank you