freetds - Re: [freetds] Using freetds in Windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Using freetds in Windows
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:14:28 -0500

Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> Perhaps would be better to translate C
> errors into Windows system errors and use FormatMessage for windows and
> strerror for Unix?

Winsock errors cannot be formatted with FormatMessage. That's why we have
tds_prwsaerror().

> we always use strerror, windows or not.

It matters more to you than to me. :-)

In the db-lib code we don't need to support multithreading. I don't know
how to use errno portably in multithreaded code. I would like to believe
that in any environment in which errno is in thread-local storage,
strerror(3) would be thread-safe.

I encountered a bug today in replacements/strtok_r(). It doesn't treat
consecutive tokens as one, so at the end of the port 1434 response (two
semicolons), it returns a zero-length string instead of NULL. It made me
wish we'd single-threaded the code instead of replacing it with something
that almost works.

> I think that a developer
> have to use perl even on windows or manually copy file from distribution
> while users will use distribution which came with proper file.

Agreed.

> Why not adding .sln/.vcproj and Nmakefile to distribution ??

Laziness. Good idea, though.

> It's that macro is defined in replacements.h and tds_sysdep_private.h so
> I got a warning about redefinition. I build defncopy as cross compile
> using FreeTDS library (not MS one).

Understood. It's good you use Mingw and I use VS 2005. If we get it to
compile both ways, we're doing something right.

Regards,