freetds - Re: [freetds] unable to connect to an instance of SQL server 2005

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tim Uckun <timuckun AT gmail.com>
  • To: konrad AT payplus.com, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] unable to connect to an instance of SQL server 2005
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:46:32 +1200

> Can you telnet to port 1433 from a DOS Command Window on IPADDR ?

No. That's weird...

> If not, is SQL Server 2005 set up for TCP/IP Connections ?

Yes.

>         is SQL Server listening on a different port ?

not according to the connection manager.

Under SQL native connection manager TCP/IP is enabled and it's set to 1433
TCP/IP is also enabled for the instance but the port is dynamic (set to 0)

> Is the firewall on Ubuntu preventing a connection ?

No.

I can fire up a virtual machine and connect to the database using the
SQL server manager on a TCP connection ipaddr\instancename with SQL
server authentication. When I connect I go into the options and select
TCP as the protocol. It doesn't let me specify the port though so I
don't know what port it's using. I presume it's 1433