freetds - Re: [freetds] unable to connect to an instance of SQL server 2005

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Konrad J Hambrick <konrad AT payplus.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] unable to connect to an instance of SQL server 2005
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 05:54:00 -0500

Tim Uckun wrote:
I have the following setup.

Ubuntu 9.04 with freetds from the repository (.8.2-4) I am trying to
connect to SQL server 2005 on windows 2003 server.

I am trying to follow the steps presented here.
http://procbits.com/2009/03/10/deploying-a-rails-application-on-ubuntu-804-lts-with-phusion-passenger-and-sql-server-2005/

Here is the freetds.conf

[sql_server]
host = IPADDR
port = 1433
tds version = 8.0
instance = INSTANCE

when I run sqsh -H sql_server -U user -P password I don't connect.

I also don't connect when I telnet IPADDR 1433 (the connection is refused).

I checked the configuration of the server and it's listening on the
right ip address and port 1433. I am on the same subnet (through a
VPN) but I can't connect.

Can anybody offer a clue as to why this doesn't work?

Tim --

If you can't telnet in, you won't get very far with sqsh <G>

Can you telnet to port 1433 from a DOS Command Window on IPADDR ?

If not, is SQL Server 2005 set up for TCP/IP Connections ?

is SQL Server listening on a different port ?

See SQL Server Config Manager ...

Protocols => TCP/IP => Properties

If you can connect from a Command window on IPADDR ...

Is the firewall on Ubuntu preventing a connection ?

What does

sudo /usr/sbin/iptables -L

say ?

HTH.