freetds - Re: [freetds] freetds 0.82 and unixodbc 2.2.14 on a Shared Linux Host

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: iODBC Maintainer <iodbc AT openlinksw.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>, rob AT digsoldev.net
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds 0.82 and unixodbc 2.2.14 on a Shared Linux Host
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 22:08:58 +0200

Hi Robert,

I successfully replaced unixODBC with iodbc and had no troubles
finding the iodbc headers and compiling a functional freetdsodbc
driver.

Bummer as iodbc seems to be a bit stale. Does anyone know if I'm
giving up any important functionality going to iodbc?

No you will not loose functionality by using iODBC. All driver managers implement the same ODBC 3.52 API standard as specified by the relevant Microsoft documents.

iODBC is still under active maintenance. Since the current API is already several years old, there has not been much to do except for the occasional bugfix. So consider the current version stable/mature.

There are some new developments in the pipeline, as Microsoft all of a sudden have started to discuss some changes to the ODBC standard. I will announce further plans on the iodbc mailing list when the time has come.

Patrick