freetds - Re: [freetds] Getting DB error = 20017 - Unexpected EOF from the server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Jeff.Goodwin AT fairchildsemi.com
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Getting DB error = 20017 - Unexpected EOF from the server
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:33:25 -0400

freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 03/17/2009 04:05:19 PM:

Since you asked... :+)

> Jeff,
>
> Are you jumping from VAX to Itanium, or do you have any Alphas around?
>
> Do you have the Alpha-to-Itanium binary translator?

Right now, the production system runs on OpenVMS VAX V6.2. The primary
applications are written in Digital Ada. The Sybase piece has a C wrapper
that is called by the Ada code. The particular programs where we have the
disconnect issues sit and wait for messages from a message queue using
Digital's DECmessageQ product. Once the messages are received, they are
processed and sent on to Sybase.

We have a loaner Itanium system from HP where we are testing out various
pieces of code that will give us some confidence that a complete move from
the VAX to Itanium hardware will be successful.

The main changes are:

OpenVMS VAX V6.2 - OpenVMS Itanium V8.3-1H1
UCX V4.2 to HP TCP/IP Services V5.6 - ECO 3
Digital Ada to GnatPro supplied by AdaCore
Sybase client 10.0.1? to FreeTDS 0.82
DECmessageQ V3.2 to BEA/Oracle MessageQ V5.0
DEC C V5.6-003 to HP C V7.3-018 (just the wrapper program referenced
above, and of course FreeTDS)

All code is being recompiled/linked and we are not using a binary
translator.

We do have some Alphas, but it would be a major undertaking to try to get
this same environment running under Alpha as we do not have Alpha versions
of all the needed products.

> Craig Berry, have you run freetds on Itanium?
>
> I'm wondering if we might be hitting an Itanium-specific bug.
(Compiler?)