freetds - Re: [freetds] Getting DB error = 20017 - Unexpected EOF from the server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Jeff.Goodwin AT fairchildsemi.com
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Getting DB error = 20017 - Unexpected EOF from the server
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:30:20 -0400

freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 03/17/2009 02:25:52 PM:

> Jeff,
>
> Are there any firewalls or other "intelligent" network devices in the
path?

The systems are on the same subnet. I'm not local to the systems and I
haven't yet got the map showing what other active switching gear may be
between the two systems.

> Was this all done on one TDS connection?

Yes. The Sybase connect is done at the beginning of the program and is
attached continuously. As I've mentioned in previous messages, this
program is currently running on our VAX environment with the original
Sybase client. The program can run for months without failure.

> Perhaps something has decided that such a connection is too long, or
> perhaps some counter has overflowed.

We've hunted around for some type of automated connection killer that
might be running, but we've found none. As this test DB is on the same
server as the production DB, it seems doubtful.