freetds - Re: [freetds] make check on solaris failed to compile, had to edit a Makefile

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Robert Boehne <robertb AT trdlnk.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] make check on solaris failed to compile, had to edit a Makefile
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:06:10 -0600

Christos Zoulas wrote:
On Feb 5, 10:28am, robertb AT trdlnk.com (Robert Boehne) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: [freetds] make check on solaris failed to compile, had to edi

| When "make check" is executed, Libtool needs to run the uninstalled | libraries,
| which is why there is some relative-rpath magic. If you're thinking | that libtool
| is the culprit, the first thing to do is to upgrade the version of | libtool you're
| using when you generate 'configure' - 1.5.26 is nearly a year old, and | freetds
| should be using that or something in the 2.x series.

I am not a big supporter of relative run paths, because they can
be forgotten and can cause security issues on a variety of OS's
whose dynamic linker does not perform the appropriate tests. I
would have hoped that libtool could achieve the same effect by
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH/LD_RUN_PATH. Anyway perhaps a later version
might work better, so we should switch to that first before making
any changes.

christo
Yes, relative run paths are bad, very bad. However they are required to run 'make check' without first installing, and that is the only time the libraries have relative run paths. When they are installed they will be re-linked with different runpaths.

--
Robert Boehne ~ Snake Engineer ext: 2170