freetds - Re: [freetds] make check on solaris failed to compile, had to edit a Makefile

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: christos AT zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas)
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] make check on solaris failed to compile, had to edit a Makefile
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:56:57 -0500

On Feb 5, 10:28am, robertb AT trdlnk.com (Robert Boehne) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: [freetds] make check on solaris failed to compile, had to edi

| When "make check" is executed, Libtool needs to run the uninstalled
| libraries,
| which is why there is some relative-rpath magic. If you're thinking
| that libtool
| is the culprit, the first thing to do is to upgrade the version of
| libtool you're
| using when you generate 'configure' - 1.5.26 is nearly a year old, and
| freetds
| should be using that or something in the 2.x series.

I am not a big supporter of relative run paths, because they can
be forgotten and can cause security issues on a variety of OS's
whose dynamic linker does not perform the appropriate tests. I
would have hoped that libtool could achieve the same effect by
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH/LD_RUN_PATH. Anyway perhaps a later version
might work better, so we should switch to that first before making
any changes.

christos