freetds - Re: [freetds] emerge unixODBC freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] emerge unixODBC freetds
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 22:21:47 -0500

rasiel payumo wrote:
> my odbc.ini is at /etc/unixODBC/odbc.ini
> i had a feeling that my odbc.ini is not correct also here's what i've
> wrote:
>
> [alpha]
^^^^^
This is the name you should be trying to connect to.

> Driver = TDS
^^^
There should be a section called [TDS] in your odbcinst.ini that points to
libtdsodbc.

> Description = puls3 mssql server
> Trace = Yes
> TraceFile = /tmp/unixodbc.trace
> Servername = elk
> Server = 172.30.79.40

You can't have both "server" and "servername". I'm assuming you want an
ODBC-only setup? If so, delete the servername line.

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/odbcconnattr.htm

> Port = 1433
> Database = myTestDB
> UID = sa
^^^ ignored, not a valid odbc.ini attribute. See the user guide.
> Language = us_english

You should add:

TDS_Version = 7.0

> i don't have osql

Well, I did give you links to download the file in an earlier message. I
don't know why I should repeat them, but here goes:

http://freetds.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freetds/freetds/doc/osql.txt?revision=1.4&view=markup

http://freetds.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freetds/freetds/src/apps/osql?revision=1.7&view=markup

You'll see "download" links on both pages. You know what to do.

For instructions on using osql, please see read osql.txt. Since you're
new at this, a couple of hints:

1. The file doesn't need to be "installed". It's just a shell script,
not very different from (but much better than!) a .BAT file in Windows, if
you're familiar with them.

2. Unlike Windows, the current directory is not in the PATH; when you
say:

$ osql -S alpha -U sa -P passwd

the system looks for "osql" in each directory mentioned in the PATH
environment variable, but *not* in the current directory. So, to run a
script that's in the current directory, you do this instead:

$ ./osql -S alpha -U sa -P passwd

HTH.