freetds - Re: [freetds] emerge unixODBC freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] emerge unixODBC freetds
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 21:18:46 -0500

rasiel payumo wrote:
> SQL error: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found

That indicates your odbc.ini is not correct, or in the wrong place, or
something on that order. That's what osql is designed to check and
report on.

> so i decided to follow another instruction and reinstall the freetds and
> unixODBC again

If I may say so, not very good advice. The evidence is you've installed
everything correctly, but have not yet set up the configuration files to
describe your local environment.

Different advice: Breathe. Again. Once more. Good! Now, don't install
anything. Calmly go back to the FreeTDS documentation and decide what
kind of ODBC connection you're configuring. Then examine your odbc.ini
and see if it says what you think it should. Run osql and see what advice
it offers. If all else fails, post your odbc.ini here.

And don't worry! You'll get it eventually. No one gets it the first
time, and it's a rough place for a rookie to start. It's a bit
convoluted, but it does work.

HTH.