freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem retrieveing results from bottom to top

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: dveiga AT advtechnology.com.ar, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem retrieveing results from bottom to top
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 07:52:01 -0400

Hi Daniel,

> Should I have known you were going to make it part of the project I
> would have been more carefull with the comments, name of the created
> temp table, etc.

We mustn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. You pointed out some
very complicated behavior, and generously produced a test program
illustrating it. I thought the least I could do was incorporate it in the
unit tests, where we can hack on it and where it will remind us how the
thing is supposed to behave.

> To tell you the truth I only sent it as part of the
> bug report, as it was an easy way of showing that some records are
> returned twice.

And that's entirely to your credit!

I can't think of a FreeTDS unit test that could be confused with a work of
art. They were mostly written for exactly the same reason, and in much
the same way, as was yours: to test specific behavior. I'd say that puts
you in pretty good company. ;-)

Regards,