freetds - Re: [freetds] IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS HELL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS HELL
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 13:49:13 -0400

Federico Alves wrote:
> I had a horrible two days where my life was upside down because one
> machine was using SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS ON

:-(

> I checked the code and it seems that that is
> chosen by the application. Please let me know if the source code is of
> my app, open source, is responsible for this or some general setting
> that I forgot to change.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Read up on, and meditate on, the
T-SQL SET command.

Connection properties -- e.g. IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS, QUOTED_IDENTIFIER --
have defaults controlled by:

* the server,
* the database,
* whether or not the "I'm and ODBC application" bit is set in the login
packet,
* function calls made by the application,
* SET commands embedded in the SQL.

Truly woolly.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn someone somewhere set ANSI_DEFAULTS on.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa259196(SQL.80).aspx

HTH.