freetds - Re: [freetds] Charset issues...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Higgins <listinfo AT banfieldgroup.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Charset issues...
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:46:15 -0700

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:08:16 -0400
"Reid, Roger L." <roger.reid AT dpw.com> wrote:

> Amazing!
>
> I am sweating bullets over a conversion issue and almost deleted this
> incoming FreeTDS mail without reading it - and
> JKL gave me the EXACT answer I needed - and I'm not the one who asked. It
> hadn't occurred to me yet that it
> might be an issue in the char mapping within FreeTDS. It was, and it took
> me about 30 seconds to solve it.
>
> I don't know if this helps Michael Higgins, who asked - but it just saved
> me a lot of barking up the wrong tree.

;-)

Well, here I am, still having the same problem.

My localization, in 'tsql':
locale is "en_US.utf8"
locale charset is "UTF-8"

I kept having the same issue as before. I finally decided the problem was the
so-called 'smart quotes' that shouldn't be there anyway, so I cleaned up the
database and my script works again.

I've kept looking for information, trying to find that magic bullet, and keep
finding assertions that unix odbc isn't utf-8 capable. (I'd love to put that
concern to bed.)

Just in case anyone has another suggestion, what I'm doing is grabbing a name
from sql server 2000 table and looking it up in a mysql table to get the
related mysql table id. I'm using perl/dbi/odbc.

What I had done (before moving development to a better platform) is to update
the mysql table from windows. So I found, viewing the mysql data on windows,
character mangling was somehow in my table already... so, even if the '?' had
come up like 'ยด' it would likely have failed.

Hopefully, this problem won't just keep cropping up every time someone enters
a new name with an apostrophe.

> Guess I should go play the lottery now!

Good luck!