freetds - [freetds] Charset issues...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Higgins <listinfo AT banfieldgroup.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Charset issues...
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:49:50 -0700

Folks --

How do I troubleshoot charset issues? I have to match a string, but the
string is coming across with a '?' rather than the character it should be.

Where does freetds determine the charset?

I understand MS SQL Server produces data in a charset.... what happens when
it comes via freedts? When I look it up in the mysql database there is a
mismatch.

[happily matching names to ids...]
. . .
Little Man Inc. => 1112
name not found: Miller?s Hobbies, Inc. at estes.pl line 100.

Where did that '?' come from?

locale -a
POSIX
en_US.utf8

tsql shell reports:

locale is "C"
locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"

Can I get a clue? I use Gentoo distro, if that helps.