freetds - [freetds] Using PHP with FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Paquin <brian.paquin AT yale.edu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Using PHP with FreeTDS
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 22:19:04 -0400

I have setup a new server and can't get PHP to connect to a Sybase database.
The server is running Mac OS X 10.4.8 Server (includes Apache and PHP),
FreeTDS 0.64, and I have recompiled the built-in PHP to include
"--with-sybase=/usr/local" (where FreeTDS is installed).

Apache and PHP are working (I can generate a phpinfo() page).
tsql can query the Sybase database.
But when I use a fairly simple PHP page to connect to the database,
I get a timeout.

I have an older server running Apache 2, PHP 4.3, and FreeTDS 0.63.
(I used Server Logistics' "Complete Apache" and "Complete PHP" binaries)
The same simple PHP page executes correctly (so I know the PHP
page code works, the database is up, and I have the right setup.
Of note, the older server has Sybase installed; the new server doesn't.

I have reviewed the freetds.conf and php.ini files on both servers and
don't see any major differences. So I am lost as to what to look at next.
Any suggestions?

Do I need some environment variables?
Is a local Sybase install required??
Will enabling Dump in freetds.conf provide help with this issue?
(I haven't seen anything useful in the httpd error log)

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I didn't see the answer in the manual...

Brian :)